It’s no secret protein is good for you. One of the easiest ways to provide your body with the protein it needs is by using protein powder.
There are so many options for protein powder it can be hard to choose which one is right for you.
According to the Cleveland Clinic, here are some of the most common types of protein:
Whey protein is perhaps the most popular source of protein used in protein powders. Its biggest downfall is a lot of people have a hard time digesting it because it is byproduct of cheese production. If you have a dairy intolerance, you will especially want to avoid whey protein.
There are three different types of whey protein and Tomic.com describes them well:
- Concentrate: About 75% protein. Contains the highest amounts of lactose and fat
- Hydrolyzed whey: About 85% protein content. It’s also “pre-digested” to allow for faster absorption.
- Isolate: Up to 95% protein concentration. Has the lowest concentration of other nutrients.
Another popular option is soy protein. It is made from soybean flakes and is a good alternative for people who don’t eat meat or dairy.
However, soy is a common allergen and many people may find they are sensitive to it.
Brown Rice Protein
Brown rice protein is exactly what is sounds like: protein that is extracted from brown rice. One of the biggest benefits of brown rice protein is that its hypoallergenic. It is an excellent option for those allergic to dairy and soy, and it is also vegetarian and vegan!
This protein is well known for its fast absorption and being easy to digest. It contains an array of amino acids. (Amino acids combine to form proteins!) However, brown rice protein on its own does not contain all the amino acids to form a complete protein.
Pea protein is protein extracted from split peas. It has become a popular option for those looking for a plant-based protein powder. It is also dairy free and soy free.
Pea protein contains excellent levels of 8 of the 9 amino acids that make up a complete protein.
So how do you choose which protein powder is right for you?
VIIVA has formulated a protein powder that hits all of the boxes. By combining brown rice protein and pea protein in its formula, VIIVA’s Organic Plant Base is a plant-based protein that is also a complete protein. Each packet contains 20 grams of protein!
What are other reasons you should add the VIIVA Organic Plant Base to your diet?
- Vegan Friendly
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Soy Free
- USDA Certified Organic
- Certified Kosher
- Essential amino acids + branched chain amino acids (BCAAs)support a healthy metabolism, lean muscle and weight maintenance.
- Soluble fiber to promote heart health and flush fat.
- Vitamin blend derived from 19 nutrient-rich vegetables and fruits, such as acerola!
Are you ready to give protein powder a try? Adding protein powder can help provide your body with awesome benefits like:
- Keeps you feeling full throughout the day
- Delivers sustained energy
- Flushes fat
- Promotes good heart health
- Improves second brain (ENS System) health
- Aids in healthy weight loss and maintenance
Want to learn more about how protein can improve your health? Click here.
Meet the Author: Hanna is the Communications Coordinator at VIIVA. She recently graduated summa cum laude from Southern Oregon University and now lives in Portland, Oregon with her husband, cat, and dog. Her favorite hobbies include reading and singing, and her favorite VIIVA product is the Chocolate Organic Plant Base!