What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you hear words like “learning” or “education”? Many of us are probably taken back to our days in grade school or university. While formal education is a great source of learning, there are several other ways that we can continuously gain knowledge and skills that keep our minds sharp.
Here’s a list of 15 ideas you can do to keep learning on a daily basis:
1. Read- Read books and news articles.
2. Attend a Class- Sign up for a cooking, painting, or woodworking class.
3. Interview Others- ask people what their story is and how they’ve navigated different aspects of life.
4. Develop a New Hobby- enroll in music lessons, ask your friend to teach you martial arts, or learn a new language.
5. Do Puzzles- this trains your brain to solve problems and be creative with solutions.
6. Go to a Seminar – Find out who is presenting in a city near you and take the opportunity to learn from them.
7. Get Involved in your Community- Attend a city council meeting, volunteer at a local homeless shelter, help out with a charity event.
8. Research- what topics are you curious about? Take advantage of technology to easily look up information or talk with experts who can provide answers and insights.
9. Travel- Exploring other parts of the world allows you to learn about other people, cultures, languages, foods, and customs.
10. Memorization- Expand your brain’s capacity by memorizing poems, speeches, quotes, and music.
11. Explore your Hometown- Take advantage of what your area has to offer. Visit a museum, go pick apples from an orchard, walk around the state capitol building.
12. Get Out of your Comfort Zone- Do something you wouldn’t normally do and push yourself to do it. Talk to that person, register for that race, perform that song.
13. Stay Informed- Read up on current events happening locally, nationally and globally. Learnabout different social or political issues that are occurring.
14. Expand your Fitness Regimen- Do you normally just stick to the same old routine? Switch it up and try something like swimming, biking, kickboxing, or yoga to learn to use different muscles.
15. Learn Technology- it is constantly updating and changing. Stay up to date by educating yourself on how to use it.
Learning allows you to become more knowledgeable on a variety of topics, develop skills, gain new perspective, develop friendships, provide a sense of belonging, feel accomplished and help you become the person you want to be!
Brittney received her B.S. in Sociology at Brigham Young University. She enjoys being outdoors, traveling, and spending time with her friends and family. Brittney currently resides in Utah.